Plastic Surgical Center
Helsinki Hospital has focused on corrective and reconstructive plastic surgery. The plastic surgeons that have been selected to work at Helsinki Hospital’s Plastic Surgery Center have a national, as well as international, reputation as experts in various areas of plastic surgery.
Plastic surgical procedures are often long and consist of several stages. For this reason, the treatment is planned, and the operations are often carried out with several surgeons working in collaboration. The group of experts specializing in the patient’s condition will be responsible for the treatment.
The plastic surgeons at Helsinki Hospital are also able to treat patients in need of demanding surgical procedures. These include, for example, the treatment of injuries to the face and limbs and the associated problems, cancer patients needing surgery, and congenital deformities.
Plastic surgery was originally a field of surgery developed to repair tissue defects. It began with the need to treat war wounds between the world wars. In Finland today there are around 100 plastic surgeons, the majority of whom work in corrective plastic surgery.
Plastic surgery covers a very broad area. It includes the following subgroups:
- Corrective surgery: treatment of injuries, infections, or tissue defects and functional problems following cancer treatments.
- Trauma surgery: treatment of injuries to the face, torso, or limbs where the skin or soft tissue has been damaged, and the treatment of scars.
- Cancer surgery: treatment of melanoma and other skin cancers, breast cancer, mouth cancer, soft tissue tumors, and many other cancers, and the treatment of tissue defects and problems following treatments.
- Burns: treatment of burns in the initial stage as well as burn scars.
- Reconstructive surgery: treatment of problems where the tissue has developed unfavorably or has formed an undesirable shape. Examples are breast reduction surgery and the treatment of loose skin following significant weight loss.
- Deformity surgery: the treatment of congenital deformities. These include, for example, clefts, deformities of the skull, deformities of the face, and rare skin and soft tissue deformities.
- Cosmetic surgery
09 417 00100
Mon-Thu 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
Fri 9 a.m.-3 p.m.